Global Investor Statement to Governments on the Climate Crisis – 2021 update
The updated 2021 Global Investor Statement to Governments on the Climate Crisis delivers the strongest-ever investor call for governments to raise their climate ambition and implement robust policies. This statement, coordinated by the seven Founding Partners of The Investor Agenda, is now signed by 587 investors representing over USD $46 trillion in assets. The joint statement to all world governments urges a global race-to-the-top on climate policy and warns that laggards will miss out on trillions of dollars in investment if they aim too low and move too slow.
The statement also sets out five actions governments need to urgently undertake:
- Strengthen Nationally Determined Contributions for 2030 in line with limiting warming to 1.5°C.
- Commit to a mid-century net zero emissions target with clear sectoral decarbonisation roadmaps.
- Ensure ambitious pre-2030 policy action including strengthened carbon pricing, phasing out fossil fuel subsidies and thermal coal-based power, avoiding new carbon-intensive infrastructure (no new coal power plants) and developing just transition plans.
- Ensure COVID-19 economic recovery plans support the transition to net zero emissions.
- Commit to implementing mandatory climate risk disclosure requirements.
The statement will remain open for additional signatures between now and COP26, to add your organisation’s name to the statement please complete the form here.
The full statement and list of current signatories can be viewed here.
Please contact Emelia Holdaway for further information.
Read the full Global Investor Statement below.